Friday, August 20, 2010

What's the best Linux Firewall and AntiVirus/Antispam Software?

I have the following version of Linux web server rented from my hosting company:



Linux version 2.4.7-10 (bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #1 Thu Sep 6 16:46:36 EDT 2001



I'm looking to install a firewall software and an antivirus/antispam software on this server. Could you give me some suggestions? Free is better.



What's the best Linux Firewall and AntiVirus/Antispam Software?abtuvurys 2005



Linux has a built in firewall called IPTables and viruses don't do much harm on most linuxes.



Of course Redhad 7 is pretty old. You should have your web host install a web based admin tool such as Webmin or cPanel so you can manage stuff easily via the web.



Or you should quit them and switch to a company that uses more current linux versions and offers web based management.



The only case I would use A/V software on Linux is if I was running a mail server, or public FTP, then I would use ClamAV.



I use Futurehosting and they rock. (Virtual Private Servers)



Sounds to me like you need managed hosting though, or need to learn more about being a Linux admin.



-n8



What's the best Linux Firewall and AntiVirus/Antispam Software?antivirus programs



No, this is what you are using: Red Hat Linux version 2.4.7-10 OR Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98 or both. By the sounds of it, you lack the expertize to do this, no offense intended.



Talk to your web hosting company. They are responsible for your site's security.

No comments:

Post a Comment